Goodbye Old Friend

Photo courtesy theBoyds, Flickr.com
This is ridiculous! I am sitting here sobbing because a bookstore is closing.

Thought I would pop up to Borders to check out the sales, now that the store is closing. Never dreamed I would have this reaction.

I was just there on Tuesday with my friend Joy, as we normally do on Tuesdays. Talked with some of the employees about the store closing and how sad it is, but didn't really expect things to happen so quickly. Kristy, my sweet little barista made me a latte as usual, browsed through the store, then Joy and I settled down at the reference table for a rousing game of Bananagrams.  We've been doing this for several years, now, and I love it.

I've written 2 books while sipping lattes in that Borders and Lee and I have had many date nights that end at Borders for a latte nightcap.  In fact, Lee and I have been going to Borders for over 17 years!  It's the place I go when I'm bored, when I need to get out of the house, when I need to write without distraction...when I want a good latte.  It's my place!

When I walked in today, I headed for the cafe for a last latte and it was roped off, dark and deserted...closed forever. all the gals and guys that made me lattes over the years are now out of work.  The place was crawling with scavengers - where were they when the store was struggling to stay open?

I'm sure I'll get over this, but for now, a big part of me is gone.  Isn't that silly...crying over a bookstore???

-------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

3 comments:

  1. Look.
    A) I actually visited and read your blog.
    B) I'm actually commenting..:)
    Even though I was a 'Borderist' as some of my family and friends are, I lament the passing of another fun place to go. All I can wonder is, "What will take its place? Where will all the employees go?" So I too will shed an online tear for another metaphorical "Cheers", gone the way of the dinosaur.

    Love,>Mattrix. Yes, that's me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for feeling my pain, Mattrix! And for taking time to read my blog. It's good to know someone is reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{{MOM}}}}

    I understand. Dunno what I'd do if Panera closed.

    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete