Camp NaNoWriMo Day One

Well, this is it - day one of Camp NaNoWriMo and the day I start my novel!

If you've never heard of NaNoWriMo (which stands for National Novel Writing Month), let me explain. It's crazy! You sit down on the first day of the month and start writing. You need to have a 50,000 word novel written by the last day of the month to be considered a NaNoWriMo winner. See, I told you it was crazy!


NaNoWriMo is usually held each year in November, but this year they're running two summer camps. You can start on July 1st or August 1st and finish up your novel by the end of the month. I'm going with July.

Here's the synopsis for my story...Zoey's Quest

Zoey Braxton grew up in Carter's Creek, but her past was a mystery-one her grandfather refused to discuss. When he died, all he left was his tattered Bible and a parting message. "You'll find everything you need in this book."

She isn't interested. Zoey is tired of her grandfather's religion with all its rules and restrictions. She's ready to live life on her own terms until she discovers a secret pocket cut into the cover of the old man's Bible and its contents turn her world upside down.

Zoey sets out to find the truth about her past and the twin sister she never knew existed, totally unaware that this quest might just cost her life and the newly rekindled love of her high school sweetheart, Jack Matthews.

Follow my letters home from camp here on my blog as I chronicle my way through writing Zoey's Quest. Let's see how much trouble I can get my characters into and then watch to see how they get themselves out of each sticky situation I throw at them.

I've checked into my cabin and so far I'm alone.  Sure hope some other campers show up, cause I'm all stocked up on coffee, chocolate, marshmallows, potato chips and soda - everything a camper needs to survive, and I'm ready to have some FUN at Camp NaNoWriMo!

Let the writing begin!

(If you're doing Camp NaNoWriMo, too, leave a comment. Maybe we can share a cabin.)


(Copyright © 2010, 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment