Writing and Selling the Great American Novel by Janice Thompson

Just finished reading Janice Thompson’s newest book, Writing and Selling the Great American Novel, and I have a confession to make.

I’ve been working on my first novel for…well…way too long. At first the words spilled onto the page as fast as my fingers could fly across the keyboard, but then I started reading a lot of books on how to write a novel and discovered I was doing things all wrong. Of course, which mistakes I was making depended on which book I was reading at the time. There was so much conflicting information that my head was spinning.

  • Plot – don’t plot, just write
  • Edit as you go – lock your inner editor in a closet 
  • Old school dialogue – use beats with your dialogue 
  • Read what you want to write – don’t copy others 
You get the idea.

The more I read up on the craft of writing, the slower the words came, until I found myself sitting at the computer, fingers frozen over the keyboard…unable to write a single word.

I quit reading those books and I quit trying to write that novel…until today.

By the time I read the last page of Janice Thompson’s book, I was ready to open up that unfinished manuscript and start telling my story again. I feel inspired by the simple step-by-step process that Janice walked me through. I now feel equipped to…
  • Develop a story
  • Plan it out
  • Write the first draft without restraint 
  • Edit, tweak, polish and spit-shine my manuscript 
  • Write a query letter 
  • Write a proposal 
  • Find an agent & editor 
  • Build my personal brand 
  • Develop a team of supporters 
  • Promote and Market both myself and my book 
  • Pick up my dream of being a novelist again! 
Multi-published author, Janice Thompson
Author of over 100 books
shares her easy-to-understand insights
into becoming a novelist.
Why was this book different than all the others I'd read? Because it's simplified, but informative. Janice not only helped me to understand the whole process of becoming a novelist in a way that didn't intimidate me in the slightest. On the contrary, I feel empowered and confident that I will not only finish my novel, but I'll see it in print!

If you've ever thought of writing a novel or ever felt confused about the process, then this is the book for you. It's due to launch this week and I’ll let you in on a little secret.  

Right now it's listed on Amazon for $8.99 (a great price for all this info), but for just 3 days, you can pick up your copy of Writing and Selling the Great American Novel for just $3.99 (September 13th -15th), then it goes up to its regular price of $8.99.

(Shhhh – don’t tell Janice I let the cat out of the bag, but make sure you grab your copy while it's on sale!)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment