I am not a novelist!

 Okay, it's official (sort of) I am not a novelist.

For the past couple of years, I've been obsessed with writing fiction. Obsessed in that I think about it all the time, study the craft, start novels only to stall in the first several chapters. I have lots a few good story ideas and have about 10 novels started. No kidding - 10.

Why do I want to write a novel?
  1. I love reading good fiction
  2. When I read them, I think...I could probably do that
  3. I got this warped idea that if I write fiction, rather than non-fiction, I will be considered a real writer.
 I've prayed about it (more like begged God to give me a good idea and help me write the book), but keep hitting a wall each time I sit down at the computer.

No, that's not true. I hit the wall when I try to work on a novel, not when I sit down at the computer. You see, I'm a blogger...make that an avid blogger (7 active blogs right now, plus a web site or two, as well as maintaining a blog for the writing group I belong to and contributing to a blog for my local Christian book store), so I am writing...just not fiction.

What do I enjoy writing? Blog posts.
What do I love writing? Devotionals

So why am I making myself miserable trying to write a novel? (Because I really think I can do it...and will do it...someday, but not right now.)  For now I'm going to focus on something that's been on my heart for a while.  I'm going to write a devotional book for my family (and anyone else who wants to read it). I'm not getting any younger and my grandsons are getting older. As much as I want to be around to see them graduated, married and raising a family of their own, I don't know if I will be able to.

There's so much I want to tell them about God and life and how He makes it all worth while. About how to face the trials of life with His help. About stepping into their God-given purpose in life. I want them to have a book they can carry though life to let them know how much God loves them and how much their Grandma loved God.

Some may think this is morbid - writing a book for after you're dead, but not me. It's my legacy.

I'm praying that God inspires my writing, because He knows what they will need in the future. Feel free to pray along with me.

Perhaps devotionals were what I was mean to write all along. My first 2 books were devotionals, 2 of my blogs are devotionals and it's what seems to flow from my spirit to the keyboard. Perhaps being a real writer means writing what you are called to write.

I'll just keep enjoying the work of all those who are called to tell God's story through fiction. You're amazing writers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Jan! There is no better feeling than to flow in the purpose, and talent God has placed us in. I love your blogs and devotionals. Good for you, my friend! Go Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan! Praying that God continues to use your ministry of words through your blogs, and your future devotionals. ~ Jennifer Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, Leola and Jennifer Lee, for your words of encouragement and your prayers. Blessing to you both as you continue to minister through your writing.

    ReplyDelete