My New Toy!

I've been wanting an AlphaSmart Dana for several years. It's basically a wordprocessor. You can't do much of anything but write with it. Nothing to distract me...no internet, no Skype, no Facebook.

I finally scored one on Ebay this week and it came today. I sat watching TV with Lee this evening and typing away on the Dana at the same time. I was amazed that I could follow the TV program and still be thinking clearly enough to write the beginnings of a short story.

This handy little gadget weighs just 2 pounds and can run for 25 hours on a single battery charge and if you get in a pinch, you can pop in 3 AA batteries and keep right on going!

In November I'm going to participate in the Nanowrimo challenge. That's where you start writing a novel on November 1st and you must have 175 pages (50,000) words by November 30th to be a winner. Everyone who completes the required number of words is a winner!

I'll be using my Dana for that, but until then, I intend to do the whole "writer thing" and take my new toy to my favorite Border's Bookstore during the day, order a sugar-free hazelnut latte and look all cool while practicing to write the next great American novel....or my next blog entry!

(Copyright © 2009 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how "toys" can really make our day! Congrats on your new one and we'll look forward to hearing that you're a winner in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We're not allowed to actually start writing the novel until November 1st, but we are allowed to start planning it...outline, characters, plot, etc. So, that's what I'll be doing with Dana until then.

    It's funny, I've already started thinking that Dana is more of a new best friend than a new toy and I think she and I are going to have many wonderful adventures together!

    ReplyDelete