Thanks-giving

“There you will be together with the Lord your God. There you and your families will eat, and you will enjoy all the good things for which you have worked, because the Lord your God has blessed you.” Deuteronomy 12:6-7
Photo courtesy  Ayla87, rgbstock.com

 
I can’t remember a year when we have been so tight on money. We made out the grocery list last night for Thanksgiving dinner, knowing full well that we didn’t even have enough in the bank for the turkey. It was a startling reality, but I have to say, I feel an overwhelming joy in my heart.

For the first time in many, many years I will have my cousin and my brother sitting at the table with us on Thursday.  Both have moved to Arizona from back East this year and we’ve spent the past couple of weeks reminiscing about the Thanksgiving holidays we spent together as kids. We talked about who brought what to the dinner and what kind of pie was our favorite and how stuffed we always were after the meal.

We’ll be spending the day at my daughter and son-in-law’s house. The kitchen will be full, the grandsons will be loud and we’ll be tripping over each other as we all work to put the feast together.  TV’s will be blaring as floats and balloons parade down the streets of New York City and Xboxes will be blasting aliens from the screen.

It will be chaos and food and family and fun. At some point I know that I will take a moment to pull back and survey the scene with a heart that is overflowing with happiness and thanksgiving to God. Breathing a prayer of gratitude for His provision over the previous year I will be confident that although we are going through a rough time right now, He is faithful and will provide for our needs in the year to come.

Oh, and by the way – my husband just called to tell me not to worry about the turkey. He is going to find a way to get us one today.  He wouldn’t tell me how, but I loved the “hunter/provider” tone in his voice. It reminded me of years gone by when my Dad would go out and shoot a couple of rabbits and a pheasant to be cooked on Thanksgiving.

Thank you, God, for providing one of my greatest needs…a wonderful husband!

----------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2010, 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

1 comment: