Flash Fiction Friday - Losing Lisa

Today's Prompt: I reached blindly for the phone. "At 3 am, either someone better be dead or this better be Lisa."

What I wrote:

Lisa had stormed out of the house right after dinner. All I had done this time is asked her to do the dishes. Lately anything I did sent my fourteen year old into a fit. We had words and before I knew what was happening, she was gone...again!

I called every friend of hers that I could think of and then jumped in the car. I had been driving around looking for her for the past seven hours. I finally gave up at 1:00 AM, and came home.

In the morning I would have to call my ex-husband and tell him that once again, I had lost total control of our daughter. I was not looking forward to that call.

I had just fallen into a fitful sleep when the phone rang. I looked at the clock.

I reached blindly for the phone. "At 3 am, either someone better be dead or this better be Lisa."

The truth is that I was afraid it might be someone calling me to say that it was Lisa who was dead.

----------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2010, 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment