Flash Fiction Friday - The Dive

Today's prompt: The diver entered the hull of the ship through the gaping hole that had sank her.

I swept the murky seaweed aside and entered the hull of the ship through the gaping hole that had sank her.

She was the Sea Princess and she had gone down twenty years ago in the Caribbean, taking a crew of twenty and 117 guests with her – one was my father.

I had started looking for the wreck one week after the funeral and had spent the better part of those twenty years searching the ocean floor before I found it.

A school of fish looked at me curiously as they swam past. They were no more curious than I was. I wanted to find my father – to know what his last minutes were like. Did he go down with the ship or did he swim for hours before the sea took him? Did he think of me before he died?

In the inky blackness, I knew that my head-mounted light may be the only thing that would shed any light on the matter, but all that changed when I spotted the small, rusted metal box with my father's initials on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2010 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

Today's prompt was a hard for me.  I had to go back and work on this a bit after the 5 minutes were up, so I guess maybe that's cheating a bit.  (grin)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a good one! I want the story to continue! I have to know more, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy! I have so many good story starts. Wish I had time to develop them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good! writing prompts are very fun and nah it ain't cheating if its the same story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, 10Yen! Glad you liked the story.

    ReplyDelete