Flash Fiction Friday - Spelling

Today's Prompt: He leaned forward in his chair, raised a crooked finger to my face and said, "_______________________."

My Story: Spelling

 
The antique bookstore smelled like leather and licorice.  It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dim light. Behind the desk sat a man who looked like he had been there before any of the books in the store had even been written.

“May I help you?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m looking for a book of spells,” I said.

“You want a spelling book?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes, “No, I want a book of spells, you know, like witchcraft, black magic - spells.”

He leaned forward in his chair, raised a crooked finger to my face and said, “Young lady, you don’t want to mess with that stuff.”

“Please,” I said, trying to be patient with the old guy. “just tell me if you have any or not.”

“I have one,” he said, pulling an enormous book from under the counter, “But I warn you - be very careful. It was the incantation on page 173 that has kept me a prisoner in this store for over 200 years.”

I didn’t know whether I believed him or not, but I left the store without the book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Copyright © 2009 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment